We all know that life is stressful at times, but that doesn’t mean we can’t take some time to de-stress and relax! Keeping yourself relaxed is great for the heart, and it helps to reduce cardiovascular incidents. There are many ways to relax, you may have a way that works for you, but in case you don’t (or if you want to try something new), we have 9 great ways to increase the “zen” in your life!
1. Create your healthy routine
- Exercise everyday – exercising for just 15-30 minutes a day can relax the mind and body
- Eat foods the reduce stress, like avocado, almonds, and even dark chocolate!
- Get some sleep! REM sleep reduces the levels of stress hormones in our bodies
2. Restore your mindfulness
- Spend time outside – Walking in the woods, appreciating nature, and gardening has been shown to reduce stress and anxiety
- Focus on your senses – Meditating a few minutes a day increases overall calm and wellbeing. Even just a few deeps breaths can make a difference!
- Take more baths and get massages – Indulge yourself! Taking time for moments of pleasure contributes to a happy body and mind
3. Do things that feel good
- Engage in a creative activity – Just 45 minutes of creativity reduces stress
- Read books and listen to music – Stress declines 70% after reading for just 5 minutes!
- Try a digital detox – People who use digital devices, social media, and the internet frequently are more likely to be stressed and suffer from depression. Try putting the phone down for a little while!
What are your preferred ways to de-stress?
Photo by Public Domain Pictures
Infographic by SMG
Icons by FreePik